• Wednesday, March 6, 2013

    Kanye West Reacts to MTV’s ‘Hottest MC’s List’ with Hot 97′s DJ Enuff


    kanye-west-msg
    MTV’s controversial “Hottest MC’s in the Game” list ruffles feathers each year. On Tuesday afternoon, Kanye West called into The Angie Martinez Show on Hot 97 to discuss the current rankings with DJ Enuff. After placing No. 7 earlier this week, Yeezi calmly explained why he should be ranked higher, along with Big Sean who came in at No. 6.
    Along with calling Lil’ Wayne the “number one rapper in the world,” Kanye broke down why G.O.O.D. Music’s Cruel Summer compilation album, his “Diamonds” remix verse, and the popular “lucky I ain’t have Jay drop him from the team!” line on “Cold” warrants a higher spot. He ends off by telling listeners that he bought MTV’s Sway Calloway his first television before abruptly hanging up.
    Listen to Kanye’s call-in after the jump……
    DJ Enuff: You came at number 7 on MTV’s ‘Hottest Mcs List,” that’s what’s up. 
    Kanye: That was cool and everything. More than anything I’m happy for Sean, but I feel like he should on top 5. The way he’s [been] bodying records, like the way he started off “Mercy,” you know.
    So you think you and Sean should be top 5, top 3? I know you, Ye. To me you’re going to say you’re the number 1 rapper in the world. So number 7, does this bother you?
    Yea, number 7 bothers me because… I think that Wayne is the number 1 rapper in the world…
    Wait, you think Wayne is the number 1 rapper in the world??
    Yea, I just think he’s like… him, Jay, Em and certain people are just like the greatest RAPPERS of all time. For me, I feel like in order for them to put me in number 7 they had to bring up things that they didn’t like.
    Like What?
    They didn’t like the Cruel Summer album. And, I’m like its a compilation. It ain’t all rappers on GOOD Music. I mean Cruel Summer got “Don’t Like (Remix),” “Mercy,” “Cold,” “New Gold Flow,” all on one joint.
    Great records and Big Sean had an incredible debut album.
    And “Clique!” You can’t name 5 records like that on no album, but they wanted to diss me and be like ‘Oh, he did Cruel Summer and he can’t say he ain’t apart of it because he’s on 8 records.’
    Ain’t nobody bringing up that “Diamonds” remix verse. It wasn’t no verse in a year that was fucking with that verse! It’s definitely not based on a body of work, but possibly it could be, like, overall rap-MC-swag, you know what I’m saying. Sean is a great rapper, period. It checks all the boxes. What happens with these type of judges and people who are viewers, when you come in, I had the pink polo and the backpack, then I’m checking all the boxes for that Tribe Called Quest-era and J Dilla and all that, so they champion it. They don’t like Givenchy-Kanye. They don’t like Kanye in a kilt. They don’t like Kanye in a relationship.
    So you think this is what puts you at number seven as opposed to number five, four, three, two, one?
    Yeah, I don’t think it’s them going really bar-for-bar. I said, “lucky I ain’t have Jay drop him from the team!” Ain’t no bar in the entire past 12 months that’s hotter than that bar!
    Nah that was mean, that was mean.
    That’s one bar! I come from this battle rap, like that’s how I grew up in Chicago. I couldn’t believe it! I mean, I gave Sway his first TV, man. He came over to my crib in Newark, New Jersey, I was living in Newark doing beats for Jay and Beans and all them, and I was getting a new TV and I gave Sway his first TV. I didn’t really wanna like even call to talk about the number seven list, I just wanna tell everybody I gave Sway his first TV. And he need to remember that.
    *hangs up*
    Audio: Kanye West Reacts to MTV’s ‘Hottest MC’s List’ with Hot 97 DJ Enuff (3-5-2012)


    UPDATE: Lil’ Wayne and MTV’s Sway hits their respective Twitter accounts to respond.



    0 comments: